There are several types and sizes of telecom outdoor cabinets that are used in the telecommunications industry as a means of housing and protecting the various electronic components and infrastructure components used in outdoor deployments.
The purpose of these cabinets is to provide a controlled environment for sensitive and expensive telecommunications equipment, thus ensuring that their operation will be reliable, and they will be protected from harsh environmental conditions. In addition to ensuring the level of reliability and security of the network, they are also important in ensuring the longevity of the network.
Optimising telecom equipment protection: Selecting the ideal telecom outdoor cabinets
When choosing telecom outdoor cabinets, there are several key considerations to keep in mind. Here are some important factors to consider:
- Waterproofing: Outdoor cabinets should withstand severe weather conditions, including rain, snow, extreme temperatures, and humidity. To protect equipment inside, look for cabinets that are sealed, insulated, and ventilated.
- Security: The cabinets may store valuable and sensitive equipment. Look for cabinets with secure locking mechanisms, tamper-proof designs and have alarms, access control, or surveillance options.
- Cooling and ventilation: A proper cooling and ventilation system is essential for telecom equipment. Passive or convection cooling may not be sufficient depending on the situation, you may require cabinets equipped with fans, heat exchangers or air conditioning and a cooling duty appropriate for the peak heat loads and worst-case ambient conditions to prevent overheating. A smart system driven by sensors will optimise the lifetime of the cooling system as well as keep energy costs down.
- Cable management: Consider the cabinet’s cable management features, such as cable entry points and internal cable routing. It simplifies maintenance, reduces cable damage risk, and maintains a clean and organised setup.
- Power and backup: AC and/or DC power supplies and distribution and backup systems should be accommodated in the cabinet. Ensure that the cabinet can accommodate the power requirements of the equipment to be installed.
- Size and capacity: Choose the cabinet size according to the equipment you need to accommodate. Determine the number and size of racks. Importantly, ensure that the cabinet can accommodate future expansion needs.
- Material and construction: The telecom cabinets should be constructed with robust, durable and corrosion-resistant materials. The most common materials are stainless steel, aluminium, and composites. Make sure that the cabinet is built with a sturdy structure to prevent physical damage and vandalism.
- Ease of installation and maintenance: The best cabinets are those that can be easily installed and maintained. Panels that are easily accessible, swing-out racks, and cable management systems make installation and troubleshooting easier, and keep whole life costs down.
- Compliance and standards: The telecom outdoor cabinet must meet relevant Government or industry standards and certifications, such as RoHS, REACH, EN60529 IP (Ingress Protection) or other local regulations. This also ensures that environmental protection and safety requirements are met.
Weighing up all the options
When selecting your telecom outdoor cabinets, it’s crucial to consider all of the options so that your equipment will be properly protected and able to perform at its best in outdoor environments. It is also important to evaluate the overall cost of the cabinet, taking into account factors such as upfront cost, long-term maintenance, and durability, in order to make sure that these cabinets meet your needs. As part of the decision-making process, the reputation and support provided by the vendor are critical factors, which include warranties, technical support, and availability of spare parts.
Collaborate with the experts
With more than 40 years of experience designing and manufacturing indoor racks and outdoor cabinets for the telecom sector, you can rely on us to assist you in making your rack and cabinet selections. We provide fully customised telecom racks/cabinets and accessories by combining our engineering and manufacturing expertise with our flexible, modular, and upgradeable enclosure designs.